Celebrate Safely this Holiday Season in Ottawa, KS
Pretty lights, candles, and decorations are just a few of the other items bringing charm and cheer to the holiday season- however, if they are not used carefully your holidays may go from festive to frightening.
The American Red Cross offers the following safety tips to help greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business this holiday season.
- Place Christmas trees, candles, and other holiday decorations at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, portable heaters, radiators, heat vents, and candles.
- Make sure light strings and other holiday decorations are in good condition. Do not use anything with frayed electrical cords and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Always unplug the tree and holiday lights before leaving the property or going to bed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a tree. Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or before going to bed.
- Use only sturdy tree stands designed to not tip over. Keep curious pets and children away from Christmas trees.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire- like pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper, or plastic bags, food packaging, and towels or curtains- away from your stove top.
- Designate one person to walk around your property to ensure all candles and smoking materials are properly extinguished after guests leave.
Did you know the top three days for home candle fires are Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve? Follow these tips to help keep your property and family safe this holiday season and call SERVPRO of Lawrence/Ottawa if you are in need of water or fire remediation services.